Study Abroad

Neuroscience majors wishing to study abroad should plan their coursework carefully. While abroad, students may choose to take courses that fulfill major or College Sector requirements.  Students interested in receiving credit that may be counted towards the Neuroscience major should be aware that they may take courses that receive Penn credit for any approved elective.

Students should review the programs that they are considering attending to see whether there are courses that have already approved for use in the Neuroscience Program.  Universities that have Neuroscience course precedents include the University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia and King's College, University of London.  Students interested in attending other institutions may propose courses for Penn credit through the XCAT system and must include a detailed syllabus for the proposed course.  Students are encouraged to do so before going abroad. Students should identify the Penn course that is most similar to the course under consideration at the abroad institution and submit their XCAT request to the Penn department offering that course.  Neurobiology courses that do not have a matching course at Penn may be considered for a “BIBB/NRSC Free” credit which can be used towards the major elective requirements.  Complete information about study abroad programs can be found on the Penn Abroad website.